Wednesday 7 May 2008

A New Blog

Its in the air! Summer have officially began! Although I am still in the midst of the exams, I can't help but cast my mind to what I have install for me in the coming months. I will be working for a Civil Engineering consultancy company with the possibility of participating in the design of train station platform enhancement for the disabled. That would definitely be a dream come true since "making a difference" is one of the reason why I got into Civ Eng in the first place. Funny enough, during an interview I had with another company, the trainee manager was quite blunt in declaring the truth with the industry: "At the end of the day, we are in it for the money. However, every now and then, there will be projects which would give you karma point but these projects are hard to come by". This opinion was echoed by another engineer whom I have met, ironically, on a charity project. So I guess I am really lucky to have the opportunity to get my feet wet on something which means so much to me. I really need to stay focus this summer and give it my all. Three years ago, I moved away from Manchester pretty much with my tail between my legs, this time to be able to return to the city and work for one of the biggest engineering firm in the country is something I should treat with uppermost regards!

Apart from that, there is Glastonbury to look forward to! One of the most celebrated and longest running festival in Britain if not the world. The general opinion on the festival this year is lukewarm at best. Regulars complained that the overall atmosphere of the festival has degraded over the past couple of years and the public reactions to the choice of headliners (Jay-Z) were quite critical. Either way, I am just going to enjoy it for what it is. Fact is, there are still a lot of bands I want to see who will be playing so I am not fussed over who is playing at the Main Pyramid Stage. I will be stewarding with Oxfam for this festival and from my experience from last summer, I honestly don't think there is any other way of enjoying a festival. To combine charity work with fun, getting into the festival for free, the enjoyment of free meals and all the staff facilities like clean toilets/shower. Stewarding for Glade and Leeds last year was amazing and I hope to experience something similarly wonderful again!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home